Sunday, January 3, 2016

Raising Prince Charming…

I had a conversation with someone at work a few weeks ago, and she was saying how she is teaching her daughters that fairy tales are a joke, that there are no happy endings, boys/men are not princes, that they need to learn how to do things themselves and never thing that a man is going to save them.  

And I agree with this, I really do.  I have always been independent.  I made it a point in my life never to need someone to take care of me.  I had my own place, my own car, my own everything before I settled down and got married and started a family. 

HOWEVER….  I have a different mentality when raising my boys.  So this is what I told my co-worker.  "I am doing my best to raise my boys to be that Prince Charming!"  

My goal as a parent is to raise my boys to be men who would be considered a prince charming.  Whom a woman would be proud to have him by her side.  That her parents would never have a doubt in his intentions or his love for their daughter.  

Teaching them respect for themselves as well as others, both mentally and physically.  To be gentlemen, open doors, say please and thank you, to express their feelings openly and when appropriate.  

I may have not found a prince charming, but I was able to give life to four little boys who have all the potential of being amazing, solid, loving. and of course handsome Prince Charmings.    

Now I just hope that there are four mothers out there that are raising young independent women who can take care of themselves and don't expect to be treated as a princess, but will appreciate it when they are.  

No comments:

Post a Comment